So I’m going to tell you something that I guarantee could and will save your life and that of your family….it did mine not once but twice including last night.
About 7 years ago we heard a chirping sound coming from our basement. At first I thought it was our smoke detector battery running out…so I get up and put a new one in and hop back into bed. It was around 3 in the morning. A couple minutes later it starts it again. This time I have a closer look and see a series of lights on the detector and since I’m color blind and can’t see what combination they are I wake up my wife and she says they indicate Carbon Monoxide.
Now the first thing you do is sniff as a natural reaction but CO has no smell and that’s the danger. So we call 911 and report what’s happening and within a few minutes the Fire Department shows up and does their tests. They report the levels are so high that had we not had a detector that woke us up, we would have died within an hour, two at most.
So they shut down our furnace which turned out to be defective and we replaced it. I told this story on the air back then and had three people call me the next day to say they didn’t have a detector but bought one and that very night the same thing happened to them.
Well last night at 2:15am, I hear our new detector go off and this one also talks and was saying “Warning high levels of Carbon Monoxide, please call 911 and evacuate.” So once again we don’t fool around and call 911, the Fire Department came and sure enough there are high levels of CO, not super dangerous but enough to have our gas shut off and a heating company come today and check out why it did this.
So as we get into the cold weather, your furnaces will be running more and more and the chances of this happening increase.
Our first furnace was quite old but our replacement is only 7 years old so don’t go on age alone….if you haven’t call a licenced HVAC company and have your furnace inspected…and I’m telling you, go today to Canadian Tire and buy a duo Smoke AND Carbon Monoxide Detector, and put one on each floor of your home…it literally saved my family’s life once and potentially did again last night.